Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Yellow Boat of Hope (Layag-Layag Visit)


June 14, 2013, I went to visit Layag-Layag community for the first time. I met with Doc. Anton and his staff and some other people who were also visiting that day. I got the opportunity to see the community up front and not just on a screen (like for the past year). During my visit I 'somehow' got an idea of how these people live everyday from parents doing seaweed farming and from kids walking to their school. Our purpose of our visit was not only to visit but to also help distribute some packets filled with personal hygiene products like toothpaste and shampoo for some kids (roughly 100).

(2 big yellow boats)




(handing out a packet to a kid)



(Doc. Anton and I)
The day before the scheduled visit, (June 13,2013) I went out to buy some school supplies for the kids at Layag-Layag. In total I had 1050 notebooks, 350 pad papers, 350 erasers, 350 pencils, 350 crayon packs, 350 rulers, 350 sharpeners and 350 rulers. After I got home from my visit from Layag-Layag, I went straight away to pack the envelopes with some help from my friend and family. After we finished packing we had some mistakes like there were extra erasers and crayons and etc... so I had to re-check all 350 envelopes and make sure that each envelope had 3 notebooks, 1 pad paper, 1 eraser, 1 pencil, 1 sharpener, 1 crayon pack and 1 ruler. All 350 envelopes were packed in boxes and were ready for the 22nd of June 2013 for distribution at Talon-Talon elementary school where the kids at Layag-Layag community study.





No comments:

Post a Comment